Hi

The relationship is markedly nonlinear.  Including a nonlinear component (b^2)
in multiple regression produces a multiple R of .702.  Hence number of
Billionaires predicts half of variability in rankings.  Or using log(bs) alone
produces r = -.66.

However, there is a MAJOR problem with the dataset.  Only the top #bs
institutions are used, and many institutions with higher rankings are ignored
(e.g., usnr for UT Austin is 47).  Correct analysis would include Bs and USNR
for all the missing institutions.  For many of these institutions, Bs would be
lower and USNR lower than institutions in dataset, presumably diminishing
negative r to a great extent.

Take care
Jim

James M. Clark
204-774-4134 Fax
j.cl...@uwinnipeg.ca

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 20:55:59 -0600, Michael Smith wrote:
> I hope they are not implying it is an index of how good the school is.

Perish the THOUGHT!  I am sure that all RIGHT THINKING people
would never assess the value of the education that they received simply
on the basis of the amount of money such an educational opportunity
allowed them to steal, er, to earn.  However, since you've raised the
issue of what is the relationship between "school quality" and the amount
of money the filthiest rich issue of such accumulate, let's try to get you
an answer:  Below is the list of schools I provided previously, rank ordered
on the basis of number of billionaires (B's) they produced and the the
U.S. New & World Reports Rank (USNR) reported for 2010; see:
http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/national-universities-rankings

(1)  Harvard (54 B's} (USNR=1.00)
(2)  Stanford (25 B's)  (USNR=4.00)
(3)  U Penn (18 B's)  (USNR=4.00)
(4.5)  Columbia (16 B's) (USNR=8)
(4.5)  Yale (16 B's) (USNR=3)
(6) MIT (11 B's) (USNR=4)
(7.5) Northwestern (10 B's) (USNR=12)
(7.5) U Chicago (10 B's) (USNR=8)
(10.25) Cornell (9 B's) (USNR=15)
(10.25) UC Berkeley (9 B's) (USNR=21)
(10.25) U of Southern Cal (9 B's) (USNR=26)
(10.25) UT, Austin (9 B's)(USNR=47)
and
NYU (5 B's) (USNR=32)

Entering this data into SPSS, a Pearson r(N=13)= -0.458, p<.06
under the directional hypothesis that there should be a negative
correlation between the number of B's produced by an institution
and the US News & World Report ranking of the institution.
Note:  because of the small sample size and restriction of range
(e.g., not all institutions that produced B's are used), the obtained
Perason r is likely to be an underestimate of the true population
rho. (I've tried to attach the SPSS dataset to this post but I
don't know if it will go through)

So, knowing how many B's an institution produced can be used
to predict the U.S. New & World Report ranking given to it
which one can interpret as a measure of the quality of the institution
(people who disagree with USN's numbers are encouraged to
discuss it with them as well as the administrators at your own
institution who might use these numbers for recruiting purposes).
So, don't be surprised if you hear "No B's? No Mas!"
(see the following for one interpretation of "No Mas":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonard-Duran_II )

> Wouldn't it be awful to equate money with the quality of the
> school (or lack thereof for the B's that dropped out)?

Indeed, it would be awful to equate the quality of a school or
even the value of human life in terms of filthy lucre nonetheless
is it done all of the time.  This was most strikingly brought home
in the aftermath of the September 11, 2001 terrorists attacks
when the U.S. government tried to figure out how to compensate
families who lost family members in the attacks.  A simple-minded
notion would be to given each family a fixed amount for each
family member lost, thus valuing eack life equally.  But it occurred
to a number of people that such a scheme failed to recognized that
we are not all equal, that the janitor who was killed would have
earned less in his lifetime than a stock trader in the firm of
Cantor Fitzgerald.  The "unrealized potential" expressed in terms
of the amount of money a person could earn then became the
measure of the value of human life.  I'll leave to the "true" Christians
and the pragmatic capitalists to argue whether this is a reasonable
way to guage the value of a human life.

> One might be tempted to think that the bottom line in education
> is the business/money aspect of education and all that happens is
> job training!

You must be new to this whole academic teaching thing, right?
Consider the following blog entry, grasshopper:
http://www.insidehighered.com/blogs/confessions_of_a_community_college_dean/college_prep

As for NYU's peculiar status as producing dropouts that go on to
become billionaires (NYU as a knack for doing this in various areas;
Woody Allen dropped out of NYU), rumor has it that NYU will
take these lemons and make them into lemonade with a new
advertising campaign:

"NYU!  You education will be SO GOOD that even if you
drop-out you can still become a BILLIONIARE!"

Or something like that. ;-)

-Mike Palij
New York University
m...@nyu.edu