Hi

In my culture and psych class I use an activity on spanking centered around a
short magazine piece on use of spanking by Black parents.  See

http://io.uwinnipeg.ca/~clark/teach/3050/Act07-spanking.pdf

Take care
Jim

James M. Clark
204-774-4134 Fax
j.cl...@uwinnipeg.ca

>>> Beth Benoit <beth.ben...@gmail.com> 31-Aug-09 1:00:30 PM >>>
I've found it interesting that every year since I began teaching at the
college level (in 1993), when I ask how many of my Human Development and
Child Psychology students were ever spanked, the numbers become smaller.
In 1993 when I would ask that question, maybe one or two out of a class of
40 or 50 would say they'd never been spanked.  It was so unusual that heads
would turn to check out this strange creature, and the person was often
asked, "So how did your parents discipline you?"

But over the years, as the number of the "unspanked" increased, I've found
that more and more students marvel that there are parents who did spank.
 (Remember that most of these students would have been children in the early
nineties.)

It's my understanding that spanking is more commonly accepted in Southern
states - at least, according to
http://www.childinjurylawyerblog.com/2009/08/spanking_in_tennessee_and_sout_1.html,
it's still legal within many of the school systems.  And a study done as
long ago as 1996, entitled "Regional differences in spanking experiences and
attitudes: A comparison of northeastern and southern college students," by
Clifton Flynn, found exactly this:  that students in northeastern colleges
were less likely to have been spanked and less likely to approve than
students in southern colleges.  It appeared in Journal of Family
Violence<javascript:__doLinkPostBack('','ss~~JN%20%22Journal%20of%20Family%20Violence%22%7C%7Csl~~rl','');>,
Vol 11(1), Mar, 1996. pp. 59-80.

Beth Benoit
Granite State College
Plymouth State University