Hi

Just taking off on the following part of Christopher's recent post on hero
worship.

James M. Clark
204-774-4134 Fax
j.cl...@uwinnipeg.ca

Department of Psychology
University of Winnipeg
Winnipeg, Manitoba
R3B 2E9
CANADA

>>> "Christopher D. Green" <chri...@yorku.ca> 11-Sep-09 10:16 AM >>>
Over the past 25 years or so, history of science has become a more or
less independent discipline, conducted mostly by professional
historians, rather than by scientists. And historians traditionally pay
great attention to the contexts (intellectual, personal, social,
cultural, political) in which various scientific ideas (among other
events) arise. But in the process, modern historians of science have
alienated a lot scientists who have mistaken their activities for having
the primary aim of criticizing scientists and science itself (where not
being sufficiently adulatory counts is regarded as being overly
critical). This misunderstanding of intentions precipitated the very
nasty "Science Wars" of the 1990s. Thankfully, we are mostly over the
worst of that silliness now, but it still rears its ugly head from time
to time.

JC:
I have a different view of the history and current state of the "science wars."

First, it was not primarily historians of science who were anti-science (see
more below), although historians like Kuhn were much misused by the critics of
science.  Kuhn was quite explicit in his writings that he did NOT see his ideas
as incompatible with the standard view of science (i.e., search for truth,
objectivity, use of evidence, ...).  He did NOT see his views as supporting the
relativism that was central to the unfounded attacks on science by others.

Second and on the point of what disciplines were at war with science, I do not
believe that scientist simply misinterpreted intentions or that we are "over
the worst of that silliness now."  Here is Sandra Harding's 2006 revision of a
1998 paper reprinted in an edited volume.

"Whereas conventional philosophies of science and popular thought have assumed
truth claims to be an uncontroversially valuable goal for the sciences, a
critical evaluation of this assumption has emerged in the past four decades
from three schools of science studies: Euro-American philosophy, history,
sociology, and ethnography of sciences; feminist science studies; and
postcolonial science studies.  From the perspectives of central themes in these
accounts, the ideal of truth obstructs the production of knowledge.  Moreover,
claims to truth support antidemocratic tendencies in science and society
because a democratic social order in a multicultural world should not provide
the necessary conditions for the kind of strong, universal agreement among
scientists that the truth ideal requires.  The truth ideal in science supports
tendencies toward inequality."

"... all ways of understanding are historically and culturally relative. ... we
should not assume that our ways of understanding are necessarily any better (in
terms of being any nearer the truth) than other ways." "Therefore, what we
regard as 'truth' ...is a product not of objective observation of the world,
but of the social processes and interactions in which people are constantly
engaged with each other." (Burr, 1995, p. 4)

I have in front of me a flyer publicizing a course here on "Rhetorics of
Science and Law" in which students will "Discover the relationship between
rhetoric and 'facts' " (scare quotes in original) and "Explore the role of
rhetoric in how 'scientific knowledge' moves across these domains" (scare
quotes in original).

There are innumerable examples of these substantive attacks on the nature and
value of scientific activity, and they are not readily explained simply as
being misinterpreted by scientists.

Rather than the science wars being over, I believe a more accurate
characterization is that Snow's Two Cultures are even more sharply delineated
today than in the past, although the fault line would not fall sharply between
the Sciences and the Humanities (probably did not in his day either), but
rather between most sciences (some social sciences appear to have gone over to
the Dark Side ... sorry my son is into Star Wars right now) and a good chunk
but not all of the humanities.

I hope I am wrong and Chris is right!

Take care
Jim