Hi

There is an intermediate approach in which students implement formulas
using more powerful programs than hand calculators.  Minitab is great
for this (I haven't used it for years) because you could implement
formula to compute values that could then be entered into later
formula.
 Something like:

let sum =3D sum(x).
let mean =3D sum / n.

This can also be done in Excel or some other spreadsheet.  There was a
debate a number of years ago about using spreadsheets to teach
statistics, with some worrying about the inappropriate algorithms once
upon a time incorporated into spreadsheets or the limitations of
definitional formula (from a math point of view) and others focusing
on
the pedagogical value.

In my honours stats class where students have to use syntax, I also do
some of this using computes, such as (below 34.234 is mean of x):

compute xdev =3D x - 34.234
compute xdev2 =3D xdev**2
descr xdev xdev2 /stat =3D sum

shows sum of deviations about mean =3D 0 and gives SS for x.

Avoids problem that Rick mentions but still requires students to
"compute" the statistics, which I too believe is very important for
understanding stats.

Take care
Jim

James M. Clark
204-774-4134 Fax
j.cl...@uwinnipeg.ca

>>> Rick Froman <rfro...@jbu.edu> 30-Oct-09 3:37:36 PM >>>
The PS below is a good imitation of an invitation to a discussion (with
the obvious exception of the opening sentence). So I will respect Dr.
Melucci*s wishes and say that I don*t want to discuss the necessity
of hand calculations either and furthermore that my undergrad stat class
where I did  paper and pencil hand calculations each weekday evening for
a semester didn*t get me any closer to understanding statistics and
only frustrated me when minor little mathematical errors prevented me
from getting the answers shown in the book. It was kind of like teaching
me to be a computer without providing me with a mathematical CPU unit.
*

Rick

Dr. Rick Froman, Chair
Division of Humanities and Social Sciences Box 3055
x7295
rfro...@jbu.edu
http://tinyurl.com/DrFroman

Proverbs 14:15 "A simple man believes anything, but a prudent man gives
thought to his steps."