The topic of wine ratings also reminds me of the famous battles over whether better wines come from California or France. Wikipedia provides a good entry into the story, along with the individual ratings by the judges and the good question of whether differences in these ratings are meaningful...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judgment_of_Paris_(wine)

Ken

Mike Palij wrote:
Some folks around this time of year start to wonder about what brand
of champagne they should get for New Year's Eve, whether they should
get something cheap like American sparkling wine (e.g., Korbel, which
technically is not a champagne),  a French champagne that that is moderate
in price (for example, see:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/23/dining/reviews/23wine.html?emc=eta1 )
or something really expensive under the assumption that there is a strong
linear relationship between price and objective quality.

But it is refreshing to note that some people don't rely upon price
or the score that "Wine Spectator" assigns to a particular wine to
judge whether a wine is good or not (snob appeal aside).  To see
this attitude in people who recommend wines for a living is even
more surprising.  Which is why I suggest looking the following
column by Brecher & Gaiter on the "Delicious Wines of 2009", see:
http://online.wsj.com/article/tastings.html

As they point out, the perception and appreciation of wine, as with
many things especially works of art, is not just a function of the objective
properties of the wine but also our expectations, the reasons why
we are drinking it, the situation/environment in which we drink it,
and so on, representing a very high order of interaction.  What may
be great one time, may not be great or even bad another.  There is
the old saying of "you can not step in the same river twice" which
can be altered to "you can not drink the same wine twice".

-Mike Palij
New York Unviersity
m...@nyu.edu

Kenneth M. Steele, Ph.D.                  steel...@appstate.edu