Hi

On Thu, 25 Jan 2001, Miriam Resendez wrote:

> Today I had my students anonymously evaluate me, the course,
> text, etc. based on three weeks of classroom time.  I feel
> always helpful.  I just got through looking over the
> evaluations and 2 students out of 45 said that they thought
> the material was not challenging enough. To quote one
> response "I think you know th ematerial but I think most of
> us know a little about it too! Feel like you are teaching us
> at a level lower than an upper division class." Granted, only
> a couple mentioned this but now I'm worried whether or not
> the material is too easy.

Be careful about letting a few comments on evaluations affect you
too much.  It is almost invariable that there will be some
comments out of line with others.

  I guess my question is, how do you
> know at what level to teach?  I don't want students to feel
> belittled but at the same time, I want to make sure they get
> "it." I suppose I know the answer already (through
> experience) but for us new people, can anyone help with any
> tips so that I can figure this out now? maybe I'm making too
> much out of nothing...

Let your first test be the guide.  Unless you are blessed with a
truly bright class, or are teaching at too low a level, or are
just an exceptional teacher, then my prediction is you might be
dismayed on the first test by what students haven't learned that
you were pretty sure you had taught.  But maybe I'm being too
jaded!

Best wishes
Jim

James M. Clark                          (204) 786-9757
Department of Psychology                (204) 774-4134 Fax
University of Winnipeg                  4L05D
Winnipeg, Manitoba  R3B 2E9             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CANADA                                  http://www.uwinnipeg.ca/~clark