At 07:48 AM 1/26/01 -0800, you wrote:
>Considering the not-so-helpful replies I've received, I'm just going to do
>what most of you imply - manipulate the student into believing their
>interests are not valid nor respected by academics thereby forcing them to
>do something that is NOT their passion.  Me thinks maybe some of your were
>victims of this rigid philosophy.  Pity.

I was going to suggest to Kitty that, instead of 'manipulating' her student as
described above, she might simply want to show the student exactly how some of
her colleagues reacted to the plea for assistance by simply pointing her
student to the TIPS' newsreader
(http://www.mail-archive.com/tips@fre.fsu.umd.edu/).  In fact, some of the

My question to the group is: How would you view this action in light of our
recent discussion regarding the forwarding of TIPS messages to others?

Miguel

Miguel Roig, Ph.D.                      Voice: (718) 390-4513
Assoc. Prof. of Psychology              Fax: (718) 442-3612
Dept. of Psychology                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
St. John's University                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
300 Howard Avenue                       http://area51.stjohns.edu/~roig    ;
Staten Island, NY 10301