Over the past couple weeks I have had two issues/questions arise in class
with which I would like some help.

1. In my child psychology class, while discussing childbirth, a student in
our school's child development program said that her text in one of her
courses said there were 4, rather than the typical 3, stages of
childbirth/labor.  The 4th stage had to to with rest and recovery and the
shrinking of the cervix.  I was wondering if this additional stage is
becomming more commonly accepted or might be idiosyncratic to certain texts
or fields?

2. While discussing split-brain research a student asked if split-brain
people could drive.  I know that people with uncontrolled seizures are not
supposed to drive.  However, if the cutting of the corpus callosum succeeds
in eliminating the seizures, does it also allow the people to drive.  I told
my students that I thought that people with this surgery probably could
drive, but as I though about it, I did come up with some rare situations
where not having a corpus callosum might slightly slow down reactions to an
emergency.  Does anyone know of any data or anything else related to this
issue?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff Nagelbush
[EMAIL PROTECTED]