> About 20 minutes into this 80 minute midterm exam, the powers that be
> started testing the fire alarms in the building...some students have
complained (and I don't blame them) that the alarms didn't allow them to
fully concentrate during the exam.

I'd tell the students that I'm going to add 5 points to everybody's grade.

I'd announce it in a VERY sympathetic voice.  Even if their overall grades
are about average with other semesters, it will make them feel better and
help counteract that persecution complex that can be so easily engendered in
situations like that.  I know some TIPSters will disagree, but I'm a tough
grader, yet one who recognizes its importance in individual classroom
situations.  There is bound to be a rumble about how unfair the testing
circumstances were.  Squashing it immediately with a five-point gift may be
all that's needed.  Ten points is way too much, but five points won't make
that much difference.

Looking forward, as usual, to the suggestions of others,

Beth Benoit
Daniel Webster College
College of Lifelong Learning
Portsmouth NH