On Tue, 18 Sep 2001 09:33:47 -0400 (EDT) Michael Sylvester
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

A retired colleague in this department gave a test on the course
syllabus in the first week of a class.  He used questions like
below and the test was worth 10% of the final grade.

Students grumbled some but I was amazed at how little protest
there was about this practice.

> Apparently some students are not reading the course outline.
> They keep on asking  questions where the answers are already
> provided for in the outline.
> So I have decided to give them a quiz on the course outline.
> Questions could be: how many quizzes do we have in this course?
>                     what are my office hours?
>                     how many exams do we have?
>                     when is the deadline for the book report?
>                     how will your course grade be calculated?
> and so on.
> Feedback invited. Is this a waste of time or could the results indicate
> students' level of interest in the course.
>
> Michael Sylvester,PhD
> Daytona Beach,Florida

Kenneth M. Steele, Ph.D.                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Dept. of Psychology
Appalachian State University
Boone, NC 28608
USA