Joe Hatcher wrote:
>       I've been teaching Theories of Personality for fifteen
> years now, and I'm reeallly bored with it.  I've tried spicing it up with
poster
> presentations, having musicians and other artists in to talk (and
> demonstrate) how they think personality applies to their
> fields, and a few other things, but I can't help thinking my fellow
Tipsters
> must have loads of good ideas for Personality class, either
demonstrations,
> new tricks, or whatever has worked for you.  Care to share?

        I've never taught it, but I think it might be fun and educational to
play Devil's Advocate for a session and claim that there is no such thing as
personality at all - that there is so little consistency in behavior across
situations that the notion of consistent personality is based on nothing but
an illusion. I think that would make an interesting first paper for students
as well - to have to provide a good argument for the study of personality,
defending the notion against a skeptic.

Paul Smith
Alverno College
Milwaukee