On 1 February 2010 Stephen Black wrote:
>And while we're on the subject of winning, allow me
>to slip in this modest observation on the recently-concluded
>Winter Olympics. Canada, with one-tenth the population of the
>USA and one-quarter the population of Russia, managed to
>win more gold medals that both of those powerful countries
>combined.

But what *proportion* of these countries is under snow half the year
round? -:)

I note that Stephen fails to mention that Britain won its first Winter
Olympics individual gold medal for more than thirty years. Enough of
this nationalism on TIPS. -:)

And I also note that Stephen's nationalistic boasting directed
attention away from the far more important item he cited:

"A university professor who resigned in protest at the dumbing down of
degrees was treated unfairly when exam students he failed were remarked
to pass, the Court of Appeal has ruled."
http://tinyurl.com/ykh7pw7

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London