?>Can you say chiropractic is bunk?

>In Britain, I mean. As a result of a decision recently handed
>down, it's again ok to say it is. But you'd better have $300,000
>and at least two years to defend yourself against libel, just in
>case.

No you won't. Once a precedent is set no one would bring such a case
again. It has become clear that the original judgement was not legally
correct. When Singh was granted leave to appeal last year the appeal
judge, Justice Laws, stated that the original judgement by Mr Justice
Eady had been "legally erroneous". Index on Censorship described
Justice Laws statement as a "scathing rebuttal" of Mr Justice Eady’s
previous judgement in the case.

http://www.indexoncensorship.org/2009/10/simon-singh-wins-leave-to-appeal-in-bca-libel-case/

The judgement of the appeal court confirmed that Justice Eady had erred
on two crucial issues of law:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/apr/01/simon-singh-judgement

Given these circumstances, the British Chiropractic Association is
likely to be advised not to bother to appeal to the Supreme Court.

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London
allenester...@compuserve.com
http://www.esterson.org

[tips] Can you say chiropractic is bunk?
sblack
Wed, 14 Apr 2010 20:01:25 -0700
In Britain, I mean. As a result of a decision recently handed
down, it's again ok to say it is. But you'd better have $300,000
and at least two years to defend yourself against libel, just in
case.

The judgement is seen as a victory for free speech and critical
comment in science, sort-of. But hold on. The British
Chiropractic Association may take it to the Supreme Court.

The offending statement by science journalist Simon Singh?
"Dr Singh suggested there was a lack of evidence for the claims
some chiropractors made on treating certain childhood
conditions such as colic and asthma."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8598472.stm
Also
http://www.nature.com/news/2010/100401/full/news.2010.167.ht