http://tinyurl.com/2w3zkto
Joan Warmbold writes:

>But how much longer are we psychologists willing to allow ourselves to
be
>partner to political correctness as opposed to looking at the data of
the impact
>of early experience on the development of an infant's brain.

In the first paragraph of the article that sets the tone of the
article, Daniel Carlat writes:
"He was sleeping poorly, and as soon as he opened his eyes in the early
morning, the worries began. “I wake up with a list of things to worry
about,” he said. “I just go through the list, and it seems to get
longer every day.”

I certainly don't think that CBT is always appropriate, or that in any
case it is necessarily wise to use it exclusively with patients for
whom it does seem appropriate, but from this description I would think
that CBT should be the first port or call. Why should we supposed that
"the impact of early experience" is a significant factor in such a
case? And even it negative thought patterns go a long way back, that
doesn't mean examination of childhood event in depth is going to be of
much help, while CBT might well be efficacious.

In a case like this, how many months (years?) of getting the patient to
dredge up childhood memories (no doubt mostly negative ones, given
that's what such therapists are waiting to hear) should be undertaken
before it is realised that this is inappropriate in a good many cases.
And even where specific childhood events may be a factor in the
individual's current predicament, I think there is little evidence that
getting a patient to spend many hours dwelling on such events is
helpful -- probably quite the reverse. Better to spend most of the time
getting the patient to undertake activities (mental and physical) that
will enable him or her to live in the present and deal with current
difficulties directly.

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London