>>People have been waiting around for hours
>>to catch a glimpse of anyone famous.

>Did you ask any of them why they are doing so?  What
>rationale did they provide?  I have never understood this
>and am puzzled by such behavior.

Like Mike Palij, I've always been puzzled why people wait around for
hours to get a fleeting glimpse of someone famous passing by, whether
it be a film star or Queen Elizabeth II (Elizabeth I of Scotland :-) ).
Could one factor be the experience of being part of crowd engaging in a
common purpose?

The way I see reflected glory coming into it is that the spectator can
regale friends and family with having been there and seen X in person.
But I think it would be presumptuous to think that people who enjoy
this necessarily have something lacking in their lives that "we" who
don't engage in such activities do not lack. ("We" no doubt would enjoy
telling friends we happened to meet/see a different kind of celebrity,
e.g., a well-known author.)

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London