>Actually, the British government's apology for covering up
>the actions of their soldiers in Northern Ireland recently came
>close.  But as I recall, the apology was for the coverup that
>was found.  (I could be wrong about that.)

Beth: For the record, the apology was for the appalling (and
disastrous) killing of 13 innocent civilians on 30 January 1972:

Prime Minister David Cameron addressing the House of Commons: "What
happened on Bloody Sunday was both unjustified and unjustifiable."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10320609

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London
allenester...@compuserve.com
http://www.esterson.org

Re: [tips] Reminder of This Day In History: Hiroshima
Beth Benoit
Fri, 06 Aug 2010 11:20:23 -0700
I found this sentence in the Christian Science Monitor particularly
interesting:

Some Japanese still want an apology for the atomic bombings of
Hiroshima and
Nagasaki...

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Asia-Pacific/2010/0806/Hiroshima-65-years-later-US-attends-ceremony-but-offers-no-apology

An apology for an act of war is a concept I don't think I've heard of
often.
 Should there be?  Who should apologize?

Actually, the British government's apology for covering up the actions
of
their soldiers in Northern Ireland recently came close.  But as I
recall,
the apology was for the coverup that was found.  (I could be wrong about
that.)

So, what do you all think about the necessity for, or expectation of, an
apology for an act of war?

Beth Benoit
Granite State College
Plymouth State University