Don Allen wrote:
>I just stumbled onto a video that apparently shows a young
>woman with autism who is able to communicate at a very
>high level despite severe autism. The link is here:

>http://www.fark.com/cgi/vidplayer.pl?IDLink=5612400

>[...] Do any of you have more information which would either
>support or refute what was presented in the clip.

Obviously independent information would be needed on this case before
it can be taken at face value. One point: The video shows passages
typed by Carly apparently at the age of fourteen with perfect grammar
and spelling. I don't know what the situation is in the States, but in
the UK this would be relatively uncommon in a fourteen-year-old
nowadays, let alone for someone who hadn't written a sentence before
she was eleven.

Of course that does not show the claims are not authentic, but it goes
without saying that the case would need to independently investigated
before any conclusions can be drawn.

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London