Claudia Stanny asks:
>Has Western society really evolved that much from religious barbarism?

I note that the examples Claudia provides come from the United States,
which is hardly the sole representative of Western society (for
starters, it is totally unrepresentative as far as the importance of
religious belief is concerned in comparison with Western Europe).

Reluctant as I am to get involved in this kind of discussion (which can
go on interminably), I hardly think that what Claudia describes is
evidence of widespread religious barbarism in the US compared with,
say, some Christian practices towards heretics some centuries ago. Nor
does it remotely compare with, for instance, the widespread acceptance
in Muslim countries (and often in law) that the punishment for apostasy
is death. For example, here is Sheikh Yusuf Al-Qaradawi, Head of the
International Union of Muslim Scholars (welcomed, with many protesting,
by then Mayor Ken Livingstone to London in 2004 as a "progressive
figure" in Islam):

"All Muslim jurists agree that the apostate is to be punished. However,
they differ regarding the punishment itself. The majority of them go
for killing; meaning that an apostate is to be sentenced to death."

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?cid=1119503547222&pagename=IslamOnline-English-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaEAskTheScholar

When the official or widely-held position in Western societies is that
defectors from Christianity should be physically punished, possible by
death, I'll consider accepting the equivalence suggested by Claudia.

More on this in relation to the UK: "The Council of Ex-Muslims of
Britain was launched in the Houses of Parliament on June 21, 2007. The
unique organisation was established by ‘apostates’ to break the taboo
that comes with renouncing Islam and religion, particularly given that
it is punishable  by death in many countries…"
http://www.ex-muslim.org.uk/eng/pressreleases/press-pages/121298-AnnualReport.html

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London