Gary Peterson wrote in passing:
>How should such accounts differ from the tainted kinds
>of case notes said to typify Freud's writing?

There is concrete evidence that Freud's case notes were tainted. As
students of Freud's life will know, on at least two occasions he
"destroyed all his manuscripts, private diaries, notes, and
correspondence" (F. Sulloway, *Freud: Biologist of the Mind*, 1979, p.
7). (The first occasion was in 1885, when he was only 28 and yet to
achieve anything of consequence. In a letter to his fiancée Martha
Bernays explaining his reason he wrote that he had "no desire to make
it too easy" for his biographers, and that he was "already looking
forward to seeing them go astray".)

More specifically, Freud destroyed all his case notes for the several
famous case histories that he published between 1905 and 1918. But it
seems he slipped up in the case of the Rat Man, the case notes for
which survived, and were published as an "Addendum" to the case history
in volume 10 of the Standard Edition. The Freud and Wittgenstein
scholar Frank Cioffi drew attention to an instance where the case notes
were "doctored" to conform with Freud's theoretical requirements.
Patrick Mahony (a supervising and training analyst in the Canadian
Society of Psychoanalysts) went much further in one section of *Freud
and the Rat Man*: he undertook a close comparison of the two versions
and found several significant discrepancies, including a false claim
that the patient had been completely cured. In his book *Freud's Dora*,
Mahony wrote that “there are a series of lies in Freud’s description of
the Rat Man case... and two lies in the ‘Prefatory Remarks’ to the Dora
case.” Later he noted that "My book [on the Rat Man] pointed out
Freud’s intentional confabulation and documented the serious
discrepancies between Freud’s day-to-day process notes of the treatment
and his published case history of it.” (American Journal of Psychiatry,
147: 8, Aug. 1990, p.1110)

Full details of Freud's 'doctoring' of the Rat Man case notes are
supplied in Chapter 4 of my book *Seductive Mirage: An Exploration of
the Work of Sigmund Freud*. In Chapters 4 and 5 I also cite several
instances of doctoring of the evidence to conform with what he needed
in the Wolf Man case history, including the invention of a key
character in a supposed recovered "memory" (conveniently occurring
after four years of analysis) that enabled him to find the "solution"
to the analysis.

http://tinyurl.com/25nrvc

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department