Mike Smith asks of Freud's work:
>E.g. the glove aneasthesia case so often referred to in intro
>psych was innacurate? hyped? made up? or fairly accurate.
>If this is one of those destroyed cases, given the apparantly
>systematic alterations to suit his theories, what do the historians
>think about the case?

What is at issue in this kind of instance is not the phenomenon but
Freud's psychoanalytic explanations. A discussion of these can't be
undertaken in a short space. :-)

>Was the VAST majority of his published stuff (and the
>theories of his system) doctored and (at times
>completely made up)?

One has to distinguish between, on the one hand, Freud's specific
clinical claims, and on the other, his theoretical contentions and
their supposed validation in analysis. (I know there is not a clear
delineation between the two!) The unreliability of Freud's clinical
claims (and this includes retrospective accounts of his experiences
that may tendentiously differ from his contemporary reports) goes back
before psychoanalysis, to the cocaine episode in the 1880s. See Mikkel
Borch-Jacobsen:
http://www.lrb.co.uk/v22/n08/mikkel-borch-jacobsen/how-a-fabrication-differs-from-a-lie

Briefly, I would say that one should treat Freud's claims about his
clinical experiences with caution, and on occasion with considerable
scepticism. One general example is his extraordinary ability to
conflate actual material obtained from his patients with his
interpretation of patients' verbal (and other) productions. In many
such instances it is difficult to decide whether, or to what extent, he
is deliberately trying to deceive his readers (lying for truth), as
against his being so utterly convinced of the correctness of his
interpretations and analytic reconstructions that he really thought he
was presenting the actual clinical situation to his readers. A classic
example is the story of the seduction theory episode, where all these
factors come into play: Misrepresenting his clinical interpretations as
observed phenomena, making false assertions about his clinical
experiences at the time, and grossly misrepresenting the episode in his
several (inconsistent) retrospective accounts to conform with later
theoretical requirements:
http://www.esterson.org/Mythologizing_psychoanalytic_history.htm

There is certainly one instance of pretty clear invention of material
presented as clinical observations, namely in his late writings on
female sexuality. Belatedly after some 30+ years of clinical experience
Freud 'discovered' that for infant girls the first "libidinal
attachment" is to the mother, not the father as he has previously
contended. He then had to set about presenting his detailed theories of
female psychosexual development. In his most comprehensive account (New
Introductory Lectures on Psychoanalysis, 1933) he presents it as "an
example of a detailed piece of analytic work" that he commends to his
readers on the grounds that "it brings forward nothing but observed
facts, almost without any speculative additions." (I came to recognize
that when Freud is at his most emphatic it is wise to check the
cutlery.) If one reads the chapter in question with a modicum of
scepticism it is only too evident that to a considerable extent he is
making things up as he goes along, while presenting his 'findings' as
clinical observations. This is especially clear when one follows his
developing accounts through his three main articles on female
sexuality. See my chapter 8: "The Oedipus Theory and Female Sexuality"
in *Seductive Mirage*.

More generally, one should also treat Freud's explanations of phenomena
that occur (actually or purportedly) in his analyses with a great deal
of scepticism, however plausible he makes them seem.

>Does your book delineate which parts of his theories would
>be most suspect?

I think I've given some indication above.

>Or is the general conscensus that it's all cr*p?

Certainly not. Some Freud critics take this view, some hold a more
nuanced view. And of course there are still plenty of people in the
psychodynamic field who dismiss much of the Freud scholarship of this
nature of recent decades (which they describe as "Freud-bashing") –
though my impression is that most such people base their knowledge of
the writings in question from "popular" accounts of the work rather
than from reading the original books or articles. (For instance, the
writings of Frank Cioffi, Henri Ellenberger, Frank Sulloway, Peter
Swales, Richard Webster and -- last but certainly not least -- Malcolm
Macmillan.)

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London
allenester...@compuserve.com
http://www.esterson.org
Re: [tips] Freud's case histories
Michael Smith
Mon, 11 Oct 2010 07:58:47 -0700
Very interesting to read your two posts.

I haven't looked into Freud really at all, so this is news to me.
Was the VAST majority of his published stuff (and the theories of his
system) doctored and (at times completely made up)?

E.g. the glove aneasthesia case so often referred to in intro psych
was innacurate? hyped? made up? or fairly accurate.
If this is one of those destroyed cases, given the apparantly
systematic alterations to suit his theories, what do the historians
think about the case?

P.S. I guess I will have to (I mean, will be delighted to) get your
book. Does your book delineate which parts of his theories would be
most suspect? Or is the general conscensus that it's all cr*p?

--Mike

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=5563
or send a blank email to
leave-5563-13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df...@fsulist.frostburg.edu