An addition to Stephen's list of quotes:

Wolfgang Köhler, gestalt psychologist and ethologist:

"I now turn to psychoanalysis, the source of more, and of darker, smog
than any other doctrine has produced." (Quoted in Percival Bailey,
*Sigmund the Unserene: A Tragedy in Three Acts*, 1965)

And for Frederick Crews taking on all comers on psychoanalysis in a
remarkable tour de force:
F. Crews (ed), *The Memory Wars: Freud's Legacy in Dispute*, A New York
Review book, 1995.

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London
allenester...@compuserve.com
http://www.esterson.org
Re: [tips] Freud and intellectuals
sblack
Wed, 13 Oct 2010 07:20:05 -0700
> Joan Warmbold asks:
> >Has there ever been a non-psychologist scholar who
> >has challenged Freud's theories?

Allen E. replied:

> As is implied in Joan's question, there have been many eminent
> psychologists who have challenged psychoanalysis from its inception

As for non-psychologists, let's not forget the tenacious Frederick
Crews, professor of English at the University of California (just
cited by Allen in his previous post),  for his devastating critiques
of psychoanalytic nonsense (including, for starters, the inspired
mockery in "The Pooh Perplex").

Or the Nobel-prize winning zoologist and immunologist Peter