Chris Green writes:
>currently in Montreal...  reading and enjoying _The Spirit Level:
>Why Equlaity is Better for Everyone_, in which Oliver James is
>occasionally cited, which I am sure will rankle Allen's apparently
>reflexive Toryism. :-)

Ignoring the smiley (which just possibly may be a device by which Chris
may brush off my reply as taking his comment too seriously), Chris's
comment says more about him than about me. Evidently anyone who doesn't
endorse a 'progressive' (or whatever word one might use to describe it)
agenda on a variety of subjects is "right-wing" or, in the British
context, a Tory. Scott Lilienfeld recently dubbed this mind-set "group
think".

In fact I have voted Conservative in a general election only once in
the whole of my fairly lengthy life – and that was in the recent
election, and only because my local Tory candidate was a youngish black
guy who's been a good local councillor and whose policies on education
(especially in relation to under-achieving boys of Afro-Caribbean
descent) I was impressed by.

Whether in the political field, or any other, my approach is to
endeavour to take any case on its merits, regardless of who is the
proponent. It is also one of taking contentions (whether in articles or
books) with a modicum of caution, always wanting to know the evidence
for specific assertions, no matter how categorically they are asserted.
(I'm constantly astonished how often reviewers of non-fiction books
take supposedly factual assertions at their face value, as if they are
true by virtue of their being published in a book.)

Maybe this attitude of mind became a basic part of my outlook because I
was brought up in a Communist household, and was involved in one or two
other left wing groups in my early adulthood. What that background
impressed on me was the extent that the thinking of many people (most
people?) who have a strong interest in political/social affairs is
constrained by whatever is acceptable within the groups (or, more
generally, social circles) within which they function. As indicated
above, I hope that experience has largely immunised me against such a
restriction on one's critical faculties.

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London
allenester...@compuserve.com
http://www.esterson.org

Free will for me. Determinism (genetic or environmental) for thee.

Chris Green
currently in Montreal...  reading and enjoying _The Spirit Level: Why
Equlaity is Better for Everyone_, in which Oliver James is occasionally
cited, which I am sure will rankle Allen's apparently reflexive
Toryism. :-)

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=5751
or send a blank email to
leave-5751-13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df...@fsulist.frostburg.edu