On 19 October 2010 Michael Britt wrote:
>Our minister/priest (whatever they call him) this past Sunday
>decided to discuss the "God saved them" argument during his
>Sermon… Religion, he said, is a journey and we do not have
>all the answers.

Chris Green responded:
>Michael Britt wrote:
>> Religion, he said, is a journey and we do not have all the answers.

>That's funny. I thought science was a journey and we didn't have all
the
>answers. :-)

For the thoughtful religious person, the "funny" (meant of course in
the sense of 'peculiar')* is surely superfluous. He or she may regard
*both* that their particular sense of religion *and* that science
conforms to that way of seeing them, each in their own sphere of
relevance. From such a person's point of view the two statements are
not necessarily mutually exclusive. (Whether they equally stand up to
rigorous intellectual scrutiny in the terms expressed is another
question, on which I have my own views (as do we all), best left for
another day, and probably another listserv, one devoted to nothing
else. :-) )

* 1936, Ian Hay, The Housemaster:
What do you mean, funny? Funny peculiar or funny ha-ha?
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/funny_ha-ha

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London