On 31 October 2010 Mike Williams gave us
>My 2 cents on collecting
>[…]

Thanks, Mike, for all that interesting insider info on collecting (as
against hoarding). (More like $2 worth!)

I hesitate to mention horses again, but you could say this was straight
from the horse's mouth. :-)

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London
allenester...@compuserve.com
http://www.esterson.org

--------------------------------------
[tips] Collecting
Mike Wiliams
Sun, 31 Oct 2010 07:48:30 -0700
My 2 cents on collecting. I have a rather long comment because I have
been a collector ever since I started a coin collection when I was 10.
I now have a large collection of Japanese woodblock prints, original
news photographs, original props and costumes from Star Trek and books
and other ephemera related to the works of JRR Tolkien. I even maintain
a website devoted to collecting, Tolkiencollector.com. I have
interacted with numerous collectors and dealers through the years so I
think I have a unique perspective as a semi-professional dealer and
collector. First, there actually is a difference between a hoarder and
a collector. Hoarders generally keep everything in their lives of any
value because they want control over their domestic environment. There
are no more hoarders who are collectors than there are collectors among
the general population. A collector is usually motivated by desire to
posses objects that represent an emotional connection between the
object and the original experiences of the object or associated
experiences. The dealers and auction houses refer to this as
"recognizable emotional value". Objects are associated with positive
experiences and the object are desired. This is not hoarding. However,
collecting can become a psychological problem when the collector
becomes obsessed with being a completist. This is a collector who wants
to have an example of everything possible and becomes far too involved
in obtaining them. This kind of obsession is still not hoarding.
Obsession is indicated when people run out of money during acquisition
and when collectors can't sell their items. Ebay has actually reduced
obsession by increasing supply. If I can't buy something this month, I
know that it will eventually be available again on Ebay. Great
collections are built by buying and selling. If a collector can't sell
something, then
obsession is likely.

When it comes to gender, I have known many women collectors, and many
women who are obsessive about collecting. However, my best guess is
that the ratio of men to women is about 60:40. There are many women
collectors ( watch them at the auction real life shows) but many more
men. The content of their collections are different but there are many
areas that overlap. For example, probably the most well-known Tolkien
collectors are a husband/wife team, Christina Scull and Wayne Hammond.
They have a collection that is amazing because they started early.
Christina Scull edits a very detailed newsletter on Tolkien collecting
and is presumably as involved in collecting as her husband. The point
is that many collecting domains are shared by men and women. In my
experience, men usually have larger collections than women. I associate
this with a general interest that men have in objects and they also
collect manipulatable objects, such as cars, motorcycles, calculating
machines and cameras. Women tend to collect fine china, glassware,
jewelry and dolls. These differences mirror the gender differences in
the population. That being said, there are still a fair number of
jewelry and glass collectors who are men. Although many of the Star
Trek collectors are women, women tend
to collect costumes and men tend to collect props.

I have a theory that collectors are often interested in history. If you
think of the great collections in museums, most take an historical
perspective. Many collections have an historical time frame to them,
especially coins and stamps. My collection of news photographs clearly
stems from an
 interest in history.

Finally, the person who mentioned that he has 15 guitars and she has 50
pairs of shoes, neither person is a collector. I have seven guitars but
I don't collect them. Anyone who seriously plays guitar realizes that
you need at least 5 to have a chance at mastering the instrument. Women
need more shoes than men for the same reason that a guitar player needs
more than one guitar. There is more fashion variability among women.
Now, if she was collecting a pair of shoes from
women leaders of the world, that would be a collection!

Here is a link to part of my Star Trek collection. I generally focused
on medical items. My key item is the blue lab coat of Dr. Beverly
Crusher. The History channel did a documentary of the Christie's Star
Trek auction. It was so popular that I had to buy tickets to the
preview. While waiting in line, a crew from one of the New York TV
stations was interviewing people as they waited. They asked the person
in front of me a question and he responded in absolutely fluent
Klingon.

If you want to see an an excellent show about two guys who are treasure
hunting for collectibles, check
out American Pickers at the History Channel.

http://www.tolkiencollector.com/startrek/startrekitems.htm

Here is the discussion forum on Star Trek collecting:

http://startrek.invisionzone.com/index.php

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=6149
or send a blank email to
leave-6149-13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df...@fsulist.frostburg.edu