Stephen Black refers to the meta-analysis by S. M. Lindburg et al of
data from relatively recent comparative studies of gender differences
in mathematical attainment. (See below.) I don't have time to look into
this right now, but my recollection of some of the individual studies
(and as far as I can see it applies to this meta-analysis) is that they
relate to results achieved by high school age children. For more than
one reason, I don't think this research justifies the conclusions that
seem to be being drawn.

The mathematics in question is a long long way from the high-powered
mathematics that distinguishes the really exceptional from the
run-of-the-mill talented. This is not to mention the issue of the
deterioration of standards in mathematics exams at school level that
undoubtedly has occurred in the last three decades in the UK – and, I
gather, this may well be the case in the States. In this context it is
not irrelevant that as soon as coursework was dropped from UK GCSE
mathematics (16 year-olds) the small lead that girls had achieved in
mathematics public exam results in recent years was immediately
reversed. The point is that there is good evidence (which I have
personally experienced as a teacher) that, as a generalisation, girls
are prepared to spend more time on work done at home than are boys, who
are more inclined to leave the work until the last moment. (There are
other issues related to the type of mathematics examinations at school
level in recent times that I shall not go into here. :-) )

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London
allenester...@compuserve.com