Apologies for my previous non-message under the heading "Re: tips
digest: November 05, 2010", sent by accident!

Here's the real thing:

On the subject of Guy Fawkes night antics:
> I wonder if the English celebrate by not having fireworks?

The answer to Marc Carter's tongue-in-cheek question is vividly
illustrated here:
http://tinyurl.com/34vsfx4

On a more serious note, Stephen Black wrote in relation to the way
heretics were treated in seventeenth century England:
>Nowadays, even in America they treat terrorists better than that.

Whatever abominable methods the US have used in such instances, it is
well to keep in mind that they really do pale into relative
insignificance compared with the torture, beatings, raping, and killing
practised elsewhere, e.g, in the Republic of Iran:

The Times 18 September 2009
'Torture, murder and rape' — Iran’s way of breaking the opposition
[…]

“The use of rape and torture was similar across prisons in Tehran and
the provinces. It is difficult not to conclude that the highest
authorities planned and ordered these actions. Local authorities would
not dare take such actions without word from above,” wrote one
investigator, in a coded reference to Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, the
Supreme Leader.

Mehdi Karoubi, 72, a defeated presidential candidate, said: “These
crimes are a source of shame for the Islamic republic.”

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London
allenester...@compuserve.com