Putting together three TIPSters responses to Daryl Bem's precognition
study, here's a potted guide to how one should approach claimed
research findings:

1. Mike Palij:
>Even if no one can find problems with what Bem reports in
>his manuscript, the real test is replication of Bem's results
>by independent researchers.

2. Chris Green:
>This article has shaken, once again, the tree about psychologists'
>use of statistical analysis.
>http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1018886/Bem6.pdf

Maxim 2: Always look for informed critical responses to a claim about
findings from an experiment or study before drawing any conclusions.
(Then look for responses to the responses. How far you take this
depends on how important the claimed findings are, or how much time you
have on your hands. :-) )

3. Don Allen:
>The old maxim "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence"
>has always been a good guide.

I would add that Maxim 2 should also apply more generally to how one
judges the case made for an author's viewpoint on *any* subject,
scientific or otherwise.

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London
allenester...@compuserve.com
http://www.esterson.org

-------------------------------

sbl...@ubishops.ca wrote:
I can see the future.

I see that a respected psychologist with excellent credentials
and a position at a quality university will provide strong evidence
in favour of precognition. I see that this will be published, not in
any old parapsychology rag, but in the holy _Journal of
Personality and Social Psychology_.

I see that there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth over this
one.

News report: http://tinyurl.com/Bem-precognition

Preprint: http://www.dbem.ws/FeelingFuture.pdf

(My thanks to a colleague who pointed me to this).

Stephen
Stephen L. Black, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology, Emeritus
Bishop's University