On 18 November 2010 Mike Palij wrote:
>Even in NYC I think people forget how often they are under
>surveillance. A situation like initially seems shocking until
>one realizes, oh yeah, there's someone watching us
>most of the time.

Purely on the accuracy of this statement (with no intention to start a
discussion on the over-use of surveillance cameras :-) ), is it true
that "there's someone watching us most of the time"?

I know that, if we take the case of surveillance cameras in certain
areas of London streets or shopping districts (as elsewhere in
Britain), no one is actually looking at what the cameras are filming
 from moment-to-moment. What the cameras do is to produce a record that
is available should there be a street/shopping mall incident or crime.
Then that particular part of the record is checked to see what
information can be gleaned about the incident. No one is watching what
is going on most of the time.

This was especially useful in the post-event tracking of the activities
of the four perpetrators of the 7 July 2005 suicide bombings in the
London Underground that killed 52 people and maimed several more, and
played a major role in confirming their identities for the police (and
at the inquest for the people killed). But no one was viewing those
several cameras at the time.

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London