I don't particularly want to prolong this discussion further, given
that some other TIPSters have had their say and evidently no one else
wants to come in on this, but Mike Smith's latest post deserves a
response.

Mike wrote:
>through a lot of verbiage particularly on a list-serve" Allen said
>"I find that a rather remarkable comment, on two counts. First,
>no one has to "wade" through any post on this listserv"

>First the first statement isn't really remarkable at all. Of course,
>if you want to be very literal you can claim Allen's response as
>being a legitimate interpretation. Of course it isn't, and he knows
>it I presume (or perhaps I presume too much).

Mike: I would prefer that you don't insinuate that I was being
disingenuous when there's no substance to the suggestion. If I didn't
think my response was a legitimate interpretation I wouldn't have made
it. (As did two other TIPSters before me – though as they weren't in
yesterday's Digest I hadn't seen them when I sent my post.)

>An intelligent interpretation would be that the statement
>presumes the person is interested in the subject. Then
>to find out what the author is saying, the reader must
>read all the verbiage.

Obviously we have different notions of "intelligent". If the person is
interested in the subject, then reading more that just a few concise
sentences shouldn't really be a chore. I have to say that I find it
remarkable that you regard an occasional detailed post when it is
necessitated for an adequate response as "verbiage", given that such a
post is shorter than most articles on serious topics that one might
read elsewhere. I'm also surprised that with, for instance, my lengthy
reply to Chris Green's four assertions a few days ago, you regard that
as verbiage. May I gently suggest that you look to your own possible
limitations before criticizing others in such terms.

>Allen's second point. "Second, this is a listserv for
>professionals (academics, one might say). There
>are some issues that cannot be dealt with adequately
>in a few concise sentence..."

>This is clearly wrong. There is no subject no matter
>how complex that cannot benefit from concision. It
>also excludes most of the posts here since almost
>nothing discussed here is "complex".

I have to strongly disagree with your rejecting my saying there are
some issues that cannot be dealt with adequately in a few concise
sentences, for reasons I gave in a previous post. (That there's no
subject that cannot benefit from concision is one we can agree on, but
that's another issue.)

In the current context, by "complex" I didn't mean intrinsically
difficult, but that an adequate response may involve a number of
separate elements.

>The actual point was:
>Complete english sentences and paragraphs are unnecessary
>and so are quotes.
>Including these actually detracts from the essential points.
>That is, for busy "professionals (academics, one might say)."

I'll presume you didn't mean to write that your actual point was that
"complete English sentences and paragraphs are unnecessary" – surely?

If a quote from an informed source provides backing for a point being
made, why shouldn't it be included? To suppose such quotes, when
relevant, *detract* from a point being made I find an astonishing
contention.

If your view of what posts on TIPS should be limited to were to be
followed, we would have little better than an exchange of bare
assertions between TIPSters on subjects where there is disagreement on
matters in which factual aspects are in dispute.

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London
allenester...@compuserve.com
http://www.esterson.org

through a lot of verbiage particularly on a list-serve"
Allen said " I find that a rather remarkable comment, on two counts.
First, no one has to "wade" through any post on this listserv"

First the first statement isn't really remarkable at all.
Of course, if you want to be very literal you can claim Allen's
response as being a legitimate interpretation.
Of course it isn't, and he knows it I presume (or perhaps I presume too
much).

An intelligent interpretation would be that the statement presumes the
person is interested in the subject. Then to find out what the author
is saying, the reader must read all the verbiage.

If Allen and Mike P really believe that it's news to people that they
don't have to read what they don't want to......well what can you say.

Allen's second point. "Second, this is a listserv for professionals
(academics, one might say). There are some issues that cannot be dealt
with adequately in a few concise sentence..."

This is clearly wrong. There is no subject no matter how complex that
cannot benefit from concision. It also excludes most of the posts here
since almost nothing discussed
here is "complex".

In addition, no one suggested that the response: not be well thought out
must be limited to a few sentences. not include references

The actual point was:

Complete english sentences and paragraphs are unnecessary and so are
quotes.

Including these actually detracts from the essential points.
That is, for busy "professionals (academics, one might say)."

--Mike

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=6639
or send a blank email to
leave-6639-13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df...@fsulist.frostburg.edu