I forgot to add to my previous post that UK students from less well off
families receive maintenance grants from the Government:

At the same time, the Government has proposed to increase maintenance
grants to £3,250 each year from £2,900 for poorer students whose family
income fall below £25,000 per year.

A partial grant would be offered to students with family income up to
£42,000 and there would be higher maintenance grants for students in
London.

http://www.egovmonitor.com/node/39276

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London
allenester...@compuserve.com
http://www.esterson.org
------------------------------------

Re: [tips] I Am Shocked! SHOCKED!!! Part 374

Allen Esterson
Wed, 24 Nov 2010 03:02:34 -0800

Mike Palij linked to an amusing spoof article on the upcoming increase
of university fees in the UK:
>Stunning research results are provided from across the
>pond which should cause U.S. and Canadian instructors to
>ponder the effect of cuts to education, especially college
> education.  For the full details, see:
http://newsthump.com/2010/09/22/rich-students-have-more-money-than-poor-students-finds-survey/

 From the spoof: “It never occurred to be that not having the required
amount of cash to cover an increase in fees would leave me in a
situation where I couldn’t afford it.”

To reiterate a point of information I made in a recent TIPS post,
students in the UK do not pay University fees upfront out of their own
(or their parents') pocket. They receive a students' loan (at low
interest), which will be increased to allow for the increase in fees
they will have to face. (No one knows yet by how much the different
universities will be increasing their fees. This is left for them to
decide.)

That's not to say that students from a poorer background may not be put
off by the notion of an increase in their future debt burden – though
the last time there was an increase in fees there was no diminution in
the number of school students applying for university places. This time
there may be a different story, but we'll have to wait and see.

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London
allenester...@compuserve.com