In the article in Time cited by Michael Britt,
http://tunedin.blogs.time.com/2010/11/16/olbermann-jousts-koppel-in-battle-of-high-horses/
James Poniewozik writes: "You can have subjective beliefs—because we
all do—and yet subordinate them to objective evidence."

Of course (as I'm sure Poniewozik would acknowledge) it isn't quite
that simple.  Assuming the individual is genuinely striving to
encompass "objective evidence" within his or her view of events,
there's the little matter of selection and interpretation. Since
everyone agrees that we can't be entirely objective (or even neutral),
as we all harbour our own preconceptions, the question is how do we set
about trying to "aspire to being objective (i.e., try to be sensitive
to our biases)" (Jim Clark)

Jim suggests that we should
>follow well-developed principles for identifying, reducing,
>minimizing, and perhaps eliminating bias (i.e., the
>repertoire of scientific tools generically referred to
>as research methods)."

One principle that I regard as indispensable (though my impression is
that relatively few people abide by it) is that we should *actively*
seek out informed critical examinations of views or contentions we are
inclined to endorse (often because it chimes with our own current
viewpoint).

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London