Marc Carter wrote re Archimedes and "eureka!":

>Without looking I'm going to guess that he wanted to know
>how to assess the purity of an oddly-shaped bit of precious
>metal, and needed to compare volume with weight.

Good recollection, Marc!

Or as Wikipedia expresses it:

"Archimedes was asked by the local king to detect whether a crown was
pure gold, or if the goldsmith had added silver. During his trip to the
public bath, he noticed that water is displaced when his body sinks
into the bath, and that the volume of water displaced equals the volume
of the body immersed in the water. This means that he can measure the
density of the crown, and compare it to a bar of pure gold."

But: "This story is thought to be a myth, because it was first
mentioned by the Roman writer Vitruvius nearly 200 years after the
event, and because the method described by Vitruvius would have been
inaccurate."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eureka_effect

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London
allenester...@compuserve.com
http://www.esterson.org

Without looking I'm going to guess that he wanted to know how to assess
the
purity of an oddly-shaped bit of precious metal, and needed to compare
volume
with weight.

But that's dragged from the deep recesses of my childhood, so I'm
probably
wrong.

Marc Carter, PhD
Associate Professor and Chair