Jim Clark writes on
>the striking contrast is the emphasis on clarity in
>Beijing (50) and sensitivity in Chicago (42).  Only
>one of many differences, of course, between Asian
>and American schooling.

And, I would add, between Asian and British schooling as well. Some
idea of the differences, and an indication that China is likely to
experience a surge in scientific achievements in the coming years, can
be seen from this article:

http://www.spectator.co.uk/essays/6526228/the-gaokao-challenge.thtml

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department