Chris Green writes:
>Again, Allen overwhelms with far more bulk than (I feel)
>it is appropriate to respond to in a forum such as this.

So who decides what is appropriate as a response to another TIPSters
contentions? I could have quoted just a couple of the academic critics
of Wilkinson & Pickett’s thesis, but that would have left open the
possibility that these were maverick opinions. I could have simple
cited the articles, but three of them were lengthy critiques, and which
TIPSters have the time to plough through them unless they have a good
reason for doing so? That is why I extracted their conclusions, and
showed that a wide range of relevant academics found W&P’s thesis
wanting. And why Chris, who told us previously that he was “enjoying”
reading *The Spirit Level*, a book heavy with figures, statistics and
diagrams that need thoughtful examination, should find a total of some
700 words in criticism of the book a chore is a puzzle to me.

>I will say, in response to Kay's critique, that one should look at
>the whole book. It is written for a popular audience, and so does
>not include correlations coefficients in the main text, but they are
>included in appendix.

A fair point, though it doesn’t deal with W&P’s over-confident
contentions based on very-scattered scatter diagrams the lines through
which are heavily dependent on a few outliers. Nor does it deal with
the fact that the reviewers I cited are all working (or have worked) in
the fields of economics and/or sociology, so their criticisms are not
simply based on the book itself (as is made clear in the lengthier
reviews).

>The burden of proof is on the critic to provide an
>equally compelling case for some other variable.

I note that, keeping in mind Mill’s dictum that “He who knows only his
own side of the case, knows little of that”, Chris did not answer my
request for critical responses to the book that he has sought out. In
fact some of the academics I cited do reference articles (some authored
or co-authored by themselves) that make a case for different factors.
For instance Goldthorpe cites such articles in his references, and
Leigh cites two articles he has co-authored that run counter to one
aspect of W&P’s contentions. (The same is true for other scholarly
critiques that I did not cite.)

>an equally compelling case

What is evident from the reviews I cited is that W&P’s thesis is far
 from compelling for quite a few academics who have considerable
knowledge of the relevant subject matter.

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London
allenester...@compuserve.com