One more thing, we are encouraged to use online resources for our classes when
we have closings. I am unsure the degree to which people use them. I’m doing
that for one class today that was canceled due to delayed opening, but
generally I don’t do much online work because of closings because I have it
built into my schedules.

Paul

On Feb 20, 2015, at 11:22 AM, Paul C Bernhardt
<pcbernha...@frostburg.edu<mailto:pcbernha...@frostburg.edu>> wrote:

We’ve had about 5 snow closings and windchill closing (yesterday) and delayed
openings during the current semester (ours starts last week of January). The
number of days is actually fairly normal for us on closings. I build 2 to 3
snow days into my schedule for classes that we shift into those when actual
closing days happen. For instance, we had a closing yesterday, so I shifted the
schedule for one of my classes forward one day taking up the planned snow day
set in the middle of April. Being in a relatively rural area of the
mid-atlantic Appalachians and in a small town, 100% plowing of streets does not
happen, only the major roads are plowed & salted. So, it creates fairly
hazardous situations.

But, winter’s not over yet!

Paul

Paul C Bernhardt
Associate Professor of Psychology
Frostburg State University
pcbernhardt☞frostburg.edu<http://frostburg.edu/>

On Feb 20, 2015, at 9:55 AM, Mike Palij <m...@nyu.edu<mailto:m...@nyu.edu>>
wrote:

In NYC, there were about 2 days in January when the weather was so
bad (i.e., snow, cold, etc.) that many colleges had to close. The Governor
shutting down the transit system didn't help but I digress.  Since then
even though it has been cold, we haven't had the snow that other places
have had, so, no more snow days throwing the academic calendar into
chaos.  But I'm wondering what is going on in other places.  Boston
seems to be mess and I'm wondering what the colleges are doing
there:  are they taking snow days and adding days to the end of the
semester or are they trying to use online substitutes for classes where
it is difficult/impossible to get to campus or some other way of handling
the situation?  It seems like that south is also getting some unusual
weather and I wonder how the schools down there are dealing with
it.  Are schools open even if students/faculty can't make it to campus
or are they closed? If closed, how is the time missed going to be
made up (if at all).

m...@nyu.edu<mailto:m...@nyu.edu>

---

You are currently subscribed to tips as:
pcbernha...@frostburg.edu<mailto:pcbernha...@frostburg.edu>.

To unsubscribe click here:
http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=1989792.4335dcd8aae84aca9a8bb2e89f646286&n=T&l=tips&o=42169

leave-42169-1989792.4335dcd8aae84aca9a8bb2e89f646...@fsulist.frostburg.edu<mailto:leave-42169-1989792.4335dcd8aae84aca9a8bb2e89f646...@fsulist.frostburg.edu>

---

You are currently subscribed to tips as:
pcbernha...@frostburg.edu<mailto:pcbernha...@frostburg.edu>.

To unsubscribe click here:
http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=1989792.4335dcd8aae84aca9a8bb2e89f646286&n=T&l=tips&o=42174

leave-42174-1989792.4335dcd8aae84aca9a8bb2e89f646...@fsulist.frostburg.edu<mailto:leave-42174-1989792.4335dcd8aae84aca9a8bb2e89f646...@fsulist.frostburg.edu>