Wim

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

Quoting [EMAIL PROTECTED]:

> Kenneth,
>
> - Indeed the SSL is not necessary in our case as it's across VPN or
> something. The customer has it setup as some special service from their
> provider using straight through ADSL connections on some kind of corporate
> infrastructure.

OK

> - We'll be working through the sessionbeans indeed; In this case it'll be
> standard 5250 as we all use it. Not the screenscraping part.
> - What we normally do, is to wrap the normal command they want to launch
> in a special command of our own. E.g. instead of issuing a WRKUSRJOB
> USER(user) we issue a STRCMD CMD('WRKUSRJOB USER(user)'); the only thing
> our STRCMD does is launching the command, but when the normal command ends
> and we fall back in the program stacking onto our wrapper command, we send
> the !# event or just do a signof with disconnect. The emulator at the Java
> side knows to close itself then. In GUI mode we can then even issue 5250
> as modal dialogs etc without a problem.

Could you explain this of the modal dialogs.  Did you have to change the
application programs to do this?

>So we do make it interactive! We
> can not however send back information towards the web application directly
> as we can keep synchronisations in there. We did once start to cache the
> 5250 sessions, but that poses more of problem than it brings advantages.
> The only thing I still would like is to be able to create a protocol bean,
> connect it, start the initial command and only then hook it to a
> interactive terminal. This way the user would'n see the login and launch
> scenario pass by as they do now.

But I think it can work that way now in the code base that is in CVS.  Maybe I
am misunderstanding this because the Web5250 works mostly this way in headless.

> - I would really like to donate the screen scraper back to the community.
> Honestly. The problem right now is that you need a specific view factory
> to scrape the screens correctly. At this point we only have one factory
> that interprets customer specific screens and is not generally usable. We
> would like to build such a factory for the IBM 5250 guidelines as we use
> them in all our appliations Then it would become very useful for
> everybody. We however do not have the time at this point. It is however
> just a work of a few days. Note that the customer specific factory even
> translates functions to menu's and toolbar buttons. Another major
> enhancement would to recognize subfiles and translate them to tables.

No problems.  Am sure we will get around to it sometime.  We all work within
time constraints.

> Hope this helps,

Yes

Regards