Wim

Thanks for the feedback.

Quoting [EMAIL PROTECTED]:

> Hello Kenneth,
>
> I remembered Patrick asking this upgrade, but not from the point of using
> 'new' technologies like nio, I think. Rather to cleanout 1.3 specific code
> and integrating new APIs. Probably Swing related APIs most of the times.

Ahhh.  Boy misunderstood that then.

> As I understood NIO it mostly helps for doing async io indeed but also
> allow better scalable IO. This is however more server oriented than this
> client side project is.

Yes correct the same thing as I thought.

>So this would not directly benefit us. However a
> lot of the multithreading things that are in the code base right, would be
> gone. You wouldn't have to start a comm-thread for every emulator but use
> one thread on a channel as a switcher. As you mostly use one emulator
> session at the time, this wouldn't pose performance problems and do the
> same thing with less resources.

Well this is what I have been thinking about when using asynchronous but could
not see the benefit of the single thread issue.  I say this because all the
emulator instances can interact at different times not just in one and only one.

For instance I have a query running on one terminal and it updates the screen
while I am on another terminal waiting for the other to finish.  I can still
work on the other terminals and the interaction is still going on in the others.
 There are also timing marks that are sent and heartbeat-keepalives that still
have to be used between the other terminals as well.

I apoligize for my blindnes for all those out there that understand the
asynchronous better than I do but do not see how to handle this situation in the
channel switching code.  Will this work?  If it will then it is an option for me
to continue with.  I would really hate to tear all of that code apart again just
to find out it will not work.  Like I said have only used the asynchronous in a
small server part but my mind will not wrap around putting this to use on the
client side.

Maybe I am not seeing the forest for the trees in front.

Thanks for the feedback Wim.

Regards

Kenneth