Make sure you don't have lots of logging turned on.  Tomcat logs message
don't get written to the log files immediately.  They go into a queue in
memory and a low priority thread later flushes message from this queue to
disk.  If the server is really busy the log writer thread won't get to
execute and messages will back up in the in-memory queue.  When the load
decreases the queue will be flushed and memory will be released.

I've spent a fair amount of time running stress tests on Tomcat 3.2.x using
JProbe and I have not seen any memory leaks.

Marc Saegesser