The numbers I got were for a fairly specific application. The page request I was
making did includes of 10 jsp's in total (which would account for the difference
in my results and yours I think).
        I really like the idea of having a server vs development setting. I'll take a
look at that this morning. Might it be a good idea to have a manual way to force
a JSP reload in a production environment? I see reading your comment that you
can reload the JSP by reloading the web application, but I'm not sure the
container I'm using has that option available in a straight forward manner.
Something simple like a parameter in the URL like "jasper_jsp_reload=true" would
make it relatively easy to modify a production system without taking it off-line
  even briefly.

Remy Maucherat wrote:

>>Thanks for the comments Kin-Man. Given those comments and a look at the
>>
> jasper2
>
>>code I have come up with the patch below. After profiling jasper2 I saw
>>
> that
>
>>there was indeed a speed improvement over Jasper. However the excessive
>>
> creation
>
>>of File objects and getting files from URL's was still a problem.
>>I did as you suggested and used the JspServletWrapper object to hold all
>>
> of the
>
>>required data. As well I set up this version to fall back to reading JSP's
>>
> from
>
>>a URL if reading the File object doesn't work.
>>I found in my testing that the jasper engine used ~15% of the request time
>>
> in
>
>>loadJSP, jasper2 used ~12%, and my change uses ~1%. The only thing my code
>>
> does
>
>>not do is force a reload of the .class file if it is deleted. My code only
>>causes a recompile if the jsp changes. I can look into modifying it to
>>
> handle
>
>>this situation as well if required. I look forward to your feedback.
>>

> A much simpler solution would be to allow disabling reloading altogether for
> production systems. I've committed a patch which does that.
>
> That way, loadJSP can use 0% and everything stays very simple.
>
> What do you think ?
>
> Remy
>

> --

Duncan McLean