On Tue, 30 Apr 2002, Hans Schmid wrote:

> For the few bits of static content in our webapps (few logos) we do not
> really care (yet). They are served by Tomcat.
>
> So we do not even have a Tomcat installed on our webservers - so no webapps
> directories.

You don't have to have tomcat installed - you can have a webapps
directory without tomcat :-)

My proposal works regardless of tomcat's presence - all you need
is a hierarchy of directories and some config files in some pre-set
locations - it will resemble ( or be the same with ) tomcat's webapps/.

If you have the 'real' webapp installed in the hierarchy ( or the
static subset - you can remove all dynamic pages ), then we'll just
use the directory name and WEB-INF/jk2/ for configuration. If you
don't want any file on the apache server - you just have one file
for each webapp with the basic config information.

The only issue is making this consistent and easy ( and eventually
allow us in future to implement reloading ).

> We make heavy use of the apps-myall.xml files in TC 3.3.1 - but as I said,
> no Tomcat on our webservers.
> We have 2 hardware loadbalanced small pizzaboxes running Apache and three
> bigger Solaris machines
> running our Tomcats and the database.

I understand. This is just one more simple overhead - instead of
editing httpd.conf and use JkMount you'll use one file for each
application.

Or just ignore this proposal and use manual configuration - what
I'm trying to solve is getting 'simple things simple'.

> Have not yet figured out how to combine our static DocumentRoot plus serving
> static contents from our webapps.

One easy way would be to configure the /webapps location to be the same
dir with the DocumentRoot.

( of course, some Deny for WEB-INF will be required - but that's
allways the case and we can do it automatically ).