Chadra,

It's in the org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina class in the
createStartMapper method. The various element types like
Service,Engine,Connector,Valves etc are defined in this method. The various
XML parsing handlers are also called indirectly based on the definitions
here as follows:-

        mapper.addRule("Server/Service/Connector", mapper.objectCreate
                       ("org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpConnector",
                        "className"));
        mapper.addRule("Server/Service/Connector", mapper.setProperties());
        mapper.addRule("Server/Service/Connector", mapper.addChild
                       ("addConnector", "org.apache.catalina.Connector"));

Line 1. Creates the HttpConnector Instance class.
Line 2. Set the properties for the connector specified attributes of the
<Connector> element in the server.xml
Line 3. This is the place that the Connector get's attached to it's parent.
In this case it would be the StandardService. It's in the "addConnector" of
the Standard Service get's called, whose code looks something like this:-

    public void addConnector(Connector connector) {

        synchronized (connectors) {
            connector.setContainer(this.container);

So I guess u have an answer to where the setContainer is called.

Cheers,

Anand