On Mon, 2002-07-22 at 01:39, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I think Mladen chose the wrong example, but he is right.
>
> Think about the case when pre-compiled JSPs are used. In this case
>  index.jsp is converted to a servlet - in the deployed application
> there is no 'index.jsp' file, just a servlet and a mapping for
> /index.jsp to the generated servlet.

If there is no physical file, then nothing will get done by the patch at
all (since r->finfo.filetype is 0). It won't affect mod_dir's old
behaviour at all. I'm not sure how that changes things...

> This is another mismatch between the servlet spec and the common
> practice on all web servers. DirectoryIndex works with files
> for all servers that I know. The servlet spec extends the concept -
> and tries to decouple itself from the file system.
>
> I don't think it is easy ( or possible ?)  with the current spec to
> get Apache to serve dirs. At least it won't work with using only file
> system info.

I guess I was aiming at this:

- if all files are physical and local, then mod_dir and DirectoryIndex
are fine and make sense
- if all files are not physical and local, mod_dir and DirectoryIndex
don't make sense and should not be used

Bojan