Hi to all,

While converting some applications from 3.3.1 to 4.1.12 I noticed
some little problems.

1) We used to define our own default servlet, but 4.1.x
    definie its own default in conf/web.xml.

    Could we change from org.apache.catalina.servlets.DefaultServlet
    to our actual default servlet, knowing that all webapps use the
    same code base ? In that case should the jar containing the
    default servlet could be in common/lib ?

2) We also used to include external entities in web.xml which live
    outside webapp dir :

    ie :

<!DOCTYPE web-app PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Application
2.2//EN"
                          "http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-app_2.2.dtd"; [
<!ENTITY % settings SYSTEM "../../../settings.xml"> %settings;
]>

Digester find settings.xml only when it's located in WEB-INF or
webapp directories (ie ROOT/WEB-INF/settings.xml or ROOT/settings.xml).

How could I make it find the settings.xml outside webapps area ?
via conf/catalina.policy ?

Thanks for you help.