There were actually several stops due to the internet disconnection, and
I failed because of javamail's absence, which build.xml didn't check
out. I put javamail configuration to build.properties like this:
# ----- Java Mail, version 1.2 or later -----
mail.home=${base.path}/javamail-1.3
mail.lib=${mail.home}
mail.jar=${mail.lib}/mailapi.jar
With the above addition, I also copied a javamail jar to javamail-1.3
directory. After this treatment, I succeeded in building Tomcat 5.

As of its running, the document (running.txt) says it requires JDK 1.2
or later. I tested webapps/ROOT/index.jsp with the following
modification:
(the number in left-side is line number for convenience of
presentation.)
0 : <!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en"
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/strict.dtd";>
1 : <%
2 :     out.printlx("aa");
3 : %>

The invocation of this page resulted in the below:

An error occurred at line: 1 in the jsp file: /index.jsp
                               ---
\build\work\Standalone\localhost\_\index_jsp.java:51: cannot resolve
symbol
symbol  : method printlx (java.lang.String)
location: class javax.servlet.jsp.JspWriter
        out.printlx("aa");
           ^
1 error

The exact line causing an error in JSP is 2, and it is not compliant
with JSP 2.0's debugging support. Moreover,
0 : <!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en"
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/strict.dtd";>
1 : <%
2 :     out.println("aa");
3 :     out.printlx("aa");
4 : %>
also displayed the same result in terms of JSP line:
An error occurred at line: 1 in the jsp file: /index.jsp
\build\work\Standalone\localhost\_\index_jsp.java:52: cannot resolve
symbol
symbol  : method printlx (java.lang.String)
location: class javax.servlet.jsp.JspWriter
        out.printlx("aa");
           ^
1 error

In this case, the error line of the jsp file is 3. I guess Tomcat
5(Jasper 2) may not implement debugging support specified in JSP 2.0
spec. I'd like to know whether it is possible to do so without JDK
1.4(Merlin's JPDA-level support) and how the discussion on this issue
with JSR-152 EG is going.

Thanks for your great work again.

IAS

Independent Java Technology Evangelist