Costin Manolache wrote:
Sven Köhler wrote:

3. On top of regular request/response. Almost everything related with
auth, pings, discovery, reconfiguration can be implemented by just using
regular Ajp13 requests - with a special URL. That is by far my favorite
mechanism. It also has the advantage that it can reuse other parts of
tomcat - mapper, coyote actions, etc. I strongly believe that most
features should be implemented at this layer ( regardless of the request
message or the wire protocol changes )

special URLs are by far the best mechanism? the next simpson-episode should start with bart writing "special urls are by far the worst mechanism ever" to the board.

it's working around a missing feature - nothing more, nothing less.
it's the worse method i could imagine.

your are talking about seomthing like
  /_ajp/config
or somethin, right?
what if this URL occurs within the users directory structure?
using illegal URLs like
  _ajp/config
could confuse other ajp-implementation that are not aware of such sh*t.

Old ajp implementations will just return the regular 404 or 500 - what else
would you want to happen ? To ignore the unknown messages and let the other
side believe all is ok ?

It can also use a AJP method ( instead of GET ). Again - a regular error
message will be returned.

And again, the confusion happens only if you use new features with old
implementations. I think new features should be explicitedly turned on - or
at least you should be able to turn them off if you know you are talking
with an old version.

IMO this mechanism is far better than bloating the protocol - all experience
we had in the last 3 years shows only few people are willing to mess with
the C code and the lower layers. Higher level constructs are easier to
maintain and debug than wire protocols.

I'm confortable with C code ;)

BTW, I think we should close this noisy thread and tell :

- ajp13 protocol didn't support 'gracefull' exit feature since
  we don't want to break old implementation.

A solution could be to set a worker option to make it enable,
and send the wanted 'gracefull exit code' when will detect
that the connection will be dropped.

It could be done, but I don't have time right now, so it will
be in a future JK 1.2.3 release.