Tim Funk wrote:

The default tomcat install has a welcome file list of:
index.html
index.htm
index.jsp

On a HEAD build with no changes to ROOT webapp - all is OK. But if I create a file index.html, then index.jsp still gets served.

On a (very)quick glance of the mapper, I see rule 4 and 6:
// Rule 4 -- Welcome resources processing for servlets
// Rule 6 -- Welcome resources processing for physical folder

This leads me to believe that servlets get served as welcome files before physical files can be served which doesn't follow the order constaint.

As a bonus question: Do we still need any welcome file processing anymore in default servlet since the decoding is done in the mapper? Or can the default servlet immediately return the directory listing (or forbidden) on directory match?

No, I disagree with that. This is an exact match on a servlet (don't forget the webapp is precompiled, so there's a real mapping in web.xml in the root webapp), which takes precedence (the physical resource welcome file maps to the "/" servlet, so it has lowest priority).

Remy