Rather than look at different architectures for implementing
a web server connector to Tomcat I would rather focus on
improving the connector.

Digging into jk2 has been on my list of things to do but I haven't
had time yet. mod_jk 1.2 with Apache 2 is working well enough for me.

I like the concept of JMX in JK2 for the purpose of application
monitoring.

Some things that could be improved whether in jk or jk2 are:

Switching jk to use APR everywhere possible to make portability
easier between operating systems.

Develop a way to use a global connection pool to Tomcat.
The current way connectors are allocated where they are
tied to the httpd process use up too many resources with
idle connections.  One idea I had was to follow the model
used by Apache 2 for mod_cgid when using the worker MPM.
mod_cgid runs as a separate process which the httpd process
communicates with to execute CGI's.  We could use the same
model but have the process spawn threads for handling
requests being forwarded to Tomcat.  This would make the
most efficient use of the connectors to Tomcat and allow
us to do more sophisticated load balancing by tracking
information in this process for each worker's performance.

Regards,

Glenn