From: "Julian Reschke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tomcat Developers List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, January 29, 2004 2:01 PM
Subject: Re: [OT] Re: WebDAV and TC5

Jess Holle wrote:

> How does the user use the filesystem driver?

net use ...

> The end-user certainly cannot achieve anything meaningful via web
> folders.  I did a lot of testing in this regard.

Well, I disagree. Lots of my customers use webfolders heavily.

> Now if there is a better level of usability/functionality achievable
> with Windows without significant additional client side programming, I'd
> love to hear more about it -- i.e. I'd love to discover I'm simply
> ignorant here and find a silver bullet for this issue!

Of course there isn't any silver bullet. But all clients I've seen are
still better than non-programmatic access or FTP.

> OpenOffice is very small in terms of market share, though I certainly
> wish it all the best!  Adobe is also fairly small in terms of market
share.

Oh well.

Microsoft Office is not small in market share, and works very well with
WebDAV.

> What is really necessary is an across-the-board file-system and desktop
> GUI level integration such that all applications on the OS get some
> level of functionality with WebDAV (including open and save as a
> minimum!) and those that are "DAV-aware" may get more.  App-by-app DAV
> awareness is *much* less interesting as it is guaranteed to be
> inconsistent between apps and as a server-vendor one can't depend on it
> being present in the client apps.  I've not seen any means to achieve
> this across-the-board functionality with Windows (and again, *please*
> prove me ignorant here).

Well, use one of the many filesystem drivers (Xythos, Windows XP, ...).

Julian