----- Original Message -----
From: "Remy Maucherat" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tomcat Developers List" <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 11:56 AM
Subject: Re: cvs commit:
jakarta-tomcat-catalina/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/realm
RealmBase.java

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> luehe       2005/03/02 11:27:11
>>
>>   Modified:    catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/realm
RealmBase.java
>>   Log:
>>   Consider the case where original request was mapped to welcome page.
>>   In this case, the mapped welcome page (and not the original request
>>   URI!) needs to be the target of hasResourcePermission().
>>
>>   This is consistent with the change that had been made in
findSecurityConstraints().

>>   BTW, shouldn't request.getDecodedRequestURI() return the mapped
>>   welcome page (instead of the original URI) in this case?
>>   In other words, shouldn't the path passed to
>>     mappingData.requestPath.setString(pathStr)
>>   in Mapper.java be propagated to the request object associatd with the
>>   mappingData?
>
>I consider welcome files to be internal forwards (since it is allowed to
>handle them this way). As a result, they shouldn't be matched by
>secrurity constraints. Only the original request path should be the used
>(so here it's getDecodedRequestURI - as sent by the client).

I agree with Remy.  It's an internal Tomcat implementation detail that
welcome-files aren't handled via DefaultServlet doing:
  RequestDispatcher rd = request.getRequestDispatcher(welcome[i]);
  rd.forward(request, response);
Since this is explicitly allowed by the spec, nobody can expect that a
security-constraint mapped only to the welcome-file will be applied.
However, this is probably another thing that should be better specified in
the 2.5 spec.

>Rémy

This message is intended only for the use of the person(s) listed above as the
intended recipient(s), and may contain information that is PRIVILEGED and
CONFIDENTIAL.  If you are not an intended recipient, you may not read, copy, or
distribute this message or any attachment. If you received this communication
in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail and then delete all copies of
this message and any attachments.

In addition you should be aware that ordinary (unencrypted) e-mail sent through
the Internet is not secure. Do not send confidential or sensitive information,
such as social security numbers, account numbers, personal identification
numbers and passwords, to us via ordinary (unencrypted) e-mail.