There's a file called tools.jar that must be in your classpath.
Add a line to your "tomcat.bat file", as follows:

set CLASSPATH=%CLASSPATH%;%JAVA_HOME%\lib\tools.jar

Ed
I'm new to Tomcat / Apache and trying to get the example JSP pages working. I'm running W2K, Tomcat 3.1, and JDK 1.3 installed. I thought I followed the configuration instructions correctly. I can see the static page listing the examples, but when I try to run one of the example pages I get and error:

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: sun/tools/javac/Main
        at org.apache.jasper.compiler.SunJavaCompiler.compile(SunJavaCompiler.java:128)
        at org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.LoadJSP(JspServlet.java:413)

What am I doing wrong and how do I fix it?